T P O

T   P   O
The Patient Ox (aka Hénock Gugsa)

G r e e t i n g s !

** TPO **
A personal blog with diverse topicality and multiple interests!


On the menu ... politics, music, poetry, and other good stuff.
There is humor, but there is blunt seriousness here as well!


Parfois, on parle français ici aussi. Je suis un francophile .... Bienvenue à tous!

* Your comments and evaluations are appreciated ! *

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Conformisim ! ~ by Hénock Gugsa

 

Hénock Gugsa in Duluth, MN

Conformism ! ~ by Hénock Gugsa 

~~~ // ~~~

     Conformism is a very hard pill to swallow.  I remember once I almost could have gotten into hot water at my last job.  An administrative assistant to the CEO sent out a company-wide heads-up memo about the latest advertisement drive for our organization (which was an HMO).  She was bragging about how innovative and smart our latest ad was.  One of the venues they were using was billboards on major highways and expressways in the Twin Cities. 

     This particular ad was supposed to be unique because the name of the HMO was written upside down.  So in effect, a motorist going at 75 or 80 mph was expected to twist his head upside-down to be able to read the name.  So I got my digital camera and drove by one location with highway overpasses and exit ramps, etc., which had one of these billboards with our ad on it.  I took a snapshot and sent it as an attachment in a response email to the lady's communique.  I also expressed my opinion on what a bad idea it all was.  I actually pointed out that as a "health and well-being concern", we should not be creating a hazardous and ineffective distraction in our cities' highways.  

     I thought I was doing a proactive thing with my response.  But my immediate supervisors, whom I had copied in my missive, just went nervous and almost catatonic saying to me that I could be getting a serious reprimand or something.  Well, I did not hear anything from  the CEO's office for about a week.  And then I got a lukewarm response where they essentially stood firm on their Management decision.  They even went a step further and poured praise on the vendor saying that it was a prize-winning and acclaimed company.  

     And so ended the drama!

Post script -- Whatever the driving force, I don't think I would have gone thru with such an impulsive reaction had I slept on it for two, or three nights. I should have remembered that in many situations, 'discretion is the better part of valor'! 🤔 😉 

 

No comments: