T P O

T   P   O
The Patient Ox (aka Hénock Gugsa)

G r e e t i n g s !

** TPO **
A personal blog with diverse topicality and multiple interests!


On the menu ... politics, music, poetry, and other good stuff.
There is humor, but there is blunt seriousness here as well!


Parfois, on parle français ici aussi. Je suis un francophile .... Bienvenue à tous!

* Your comments and evaluations are appreciated ! *

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

The Geography-Challenged Americans ~ by Hénock Gugsa


The Geography-Challenged Americans 
~ by Hénock Gugsa ~
Hénock Gugsa : ===> I know exactly to what this relates. When I returned to Ethiopia after my one year in New York State (at East Rochester), I had a hard time explaining that I was not in NYC all that time ! 🤠 😃   
Pat K : ===>  Hénock, I have to explain that all the time and I just live in Ohio! 

Hénock Gugsa : ===> Pat, what is more amazing is the confidence and conviction behind such wrong ideas or conceptions. In the same vein, people have been known to confuse countries with continents.  I think it is all due to a deficiency of schools that ignore or exclude "Geography" from their curricula. 
I have a funny but true anecdote
* about a Nigerian student in Rochester many years ago. He had gone to a X-MAS party, and while there he was being introduced around to the other guests. So, an affluent elderly lady who happened to be quite well-traveled asked the student what country he was from. 
He politely answered, "I'm from Nigeria."
The old lady stiffened up as she fixed her unwavering eyes on him.  She clearly was struggling to conceal her indignation as she cleared her throat and said aloud, "You mean Algeria, don't you, young man?"

_______________________________________________________
 *  The story was told to me by my dear "Aunt" Caroline Branch, who along with her husband,  "Uncle" John, were my sponsors and dear benefactors.


No comments: