T P O

T   P   O
The Patient Ox (aka Hénock Gugsa)

G r e e t i n g s !

** TPO **
A personal blog with diverse topicality and multiple interests!


On the menu ... politics, music, poetry, and other good stuff.
There is humor, but there is blunt seriousness here as well!


Parfois, on parle français ici aussi. Je suis un francophile .... Bienvenue à tous!

* Your comments and evaluations are appreciated ! *

Friday, May 29, 2015

English-to-German Idioms - by Ktcakes of Stillwater



English-to-German Idioms 
- by Ktcakes of Stillwater -
Bulletin Board
 The Saint Paul Pioneer Press
(04/21/2015)
======= ~~~~ =======

OK, I'm game. I would be happy to share my nominations for most obnoxious and overused expressions that make my skin crawl: 'At the end of the day'; 'Moving forward'; 'It is what it is'; 'I know, right?'      

A couple years ago, I was in a German hotel, waiting to meet up with my brother and sister-in-law. I had the TV on because it was fun to watch German-speaking TV, trying to figure out what they were talking about. There was a movie on, something in the vein of Valley Girls. There were three teenaged girls walking down the street, angsting, and one of them said: 'Oh Mein Gott!' Cracked me up! Suddenly the offending 'Oh My God' didn't seem so bad anymore, when it was expressed in another language.

So now, whenever I hear an overused expression, I translate it to German. I figure I can learn the language, one idiotic idiom at a time. If they overuse the expressions as much as we do, it'll practically make me fluent!

          Here's how to improve 'Oh My God! It is what it is!' ...
          Try this: 'Oh Mein Gott! Es ist was es ist!'

  'Es ist was es ist!'
____________________________



No comments: