T P O

T   P   O
The Patient Ox (aka Hénock Gugsa)

G r e e t i n g s !

** TPO **
A personal blog with diverse topicality and multiple interests!


On the menu ... politics, music, poetry, and other good stuff.
There is humor, but there is blunt seriousness here as well!


Parfois, on parle français ici aussi. Je suis un francophile .... Bienvenue à tous!

* Your comments and evaluations are appreciated ! *

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Ever-Changing Status - by Hénock Gugsa


My Ever-Changing Status *
-----------
by Hénock Gugsa
 
Hénock Gugsa
 
Well, folks, here we go again!

I was granted residence status as a "legal alien" when I came to the U.S. over twenty-five years ago.

I stayed a "resident alien" with a green card for about ten years. Then I thought I'd better do better and I applied for citizenship.  I became a proud citizen in 1994. My status now, I was told, has changed from "alien" to "naturalized citizen."

Of late, on all the media, there is a lot of talk about a new but old category of citizens - "the natural-born."

So, knock me down with a broom. Am I being told that I'm not "natural-born?" Am I an alien again? Please tell me: Are people born differently or unnaturally else where on this planet?

_____________________________________________________
* “My Ever-Changing Status” ~ © Hénock Gugsa  (ሄኖክ  ጉግሣ ) - 08/12/2010




No comments: