T P O

T   P   O
The Patient Ox (aka Hénock Gugsa)

G r e e t i n g s !

** TPO **
A personal blog with diverse topicality and multiple interests!


On the menu ... politics, music, poetry, and other good stuff.
There is humor, but there is blunt seriousness here as well!


Parfois, on parle français ici aussi. Je suis un francophile .... Bienvenue à tous!

* Your comments and evaluations are appreciated ! *

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Humor in Advice Columns - by TPO


Emily Yoffe 
Emily Yoffe
aka “Dear Prudence” (on washingtonpost.com)
[A recent letter (2013)]

Q: Girlfriend and Cat: I have been dating my girlfriend for three years, and I am mostly sure that this is the woman I will marry, except for one thing. The only thing we have any real disagreements about is our cat. She thinks it is just fine to kiss it right on the nose, repeatedly. She basically kisses it, and makes this "om nom nom" noise while doing so. I think it's gross, and she thinks my reaction is funny. I honestly feel ill when she does this, and can't stand the thought of kissing her afterward unless she washes up first. She thinks that makes me a loon. And yet, I can't help the ick factor. She has begun to wonder why we aren't engaged yet, and while it is quite true that I don't want to deal with wedding plans until I am done with grad school, the really big reason to me is I can't decide if this is a deal-breaker, or if I am being overly squeamish. So, please tell me, am I overreacting, or is she just being gross?

A: I understand your bafflement and distress. When kissing one's pets on the nose, the sound one makes should not be "om nom nom" but "num, num, nuu." Everyone knows that. I would feel better about your objection if you then said that your girlfriend suffers from constant bouts of feline-related flu. But it sounds as if she's just fine. This is no deal-breaker but one of life's little quirks that requires partners to indulge each other. So while you roll your eyes at her cat kisses, don't try to stop the smooching. And while she rolls her eyes at your hygiene commands, she rinses with mouth wash. This should make all three of you purr with contentment.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Zaslow


Jeffrey Zaslow (1958-2012)
aka “Dear Jeffrey” (Chicago Sun-Times), 1994

Dear Jeffrey:  I am a 31-year-old single male who hasn’t had a date in a year. One problem is that I’m shy and have trouble asking women out.
I find it easier to respond to personal ads. But as soon as I write back with a description of myself, women lose interest.
Though some women have told me I’m attractive, I wonder if the problem is my size. I am 5-foot-5 and 135 pounds. I respond only to ads placed by women who are my height or shorter. Still, my size seems to be a turn-off.
Should I just face the fact that I am not tall enough for today’s women? Do most women dislike short men?
- Frustrated

Jeffrey says:  Yes, many women want tall muscle-bound hunks like Fabio and other fantasy images. Too many women are preconditioned in our culture to “need” their men taller, because men are “supposed to be dominant.”
For his book “The Height of Your Life” (Warner Books), author Ralph Keyes conducted a poll and found that fewer than 5 percent of women surveyed would go out with a man shorter than themselves. But that’s still not necessarily crushing news for short men, since 90 percent of women are under 5-foot-7. It’s ironic that women consider you short, since most of them are your height or shorter.
Keyes’ research also found that if more women would give shorter guys a try, they’d likely be pleased. And it’s not just because a lot of short guys are wonderful people.
Many women discover that love-making is better with a shorter man.
Keyes quotes a 6-foot-tall female economist: “With a smaller man, there’s no problem whatsoever. Things are equal when you’re lying down. I don’t find tall men active enough. They tend to be sort of phlegmatic. Tall men generally are slow-moving.”
A 6-foot-tall dance teacher said, “Small guys tend to be energetic lovers.” One woman said her best lover was 5-foot-5. “He was a great overachiever.” Another woman added, “Physically, having a small man on top of me can be comfortable. I could lie there for hours.”
Several women said that they were tired of standing on their toes to kiss or dance or hug taller men. Bring on the shorter guys!
They might be somewhat rare, but there are women who feel this way. Keyes is hopeful that as the power gap that separates men and women narrows, attitudes about height will change too. Resist letting your height affect your self-esteem. Keep looking, and someday you might find a woman who will be thrilled with every inch of you.

Cat sits on keyboard.

______________________

No comments: